The Eastern Bays Bowls Classic was played yesterday, sponsored by Sibuns. All four clubs in the area (Kohimarama, Glendowie, Remuera & St Heliers) entered a 16-player team,. This years Classic was due to be played at St Heliers but heavy rain on Monday meant that the tournament had to be moved at the last minute to Kohimarama Bowling Club. Fortunately, the weather cleared for the day of the tournament with perfect weather for a great game of bowls.
Kaye Shannon of Sibuns Funerals was there to present the prizes to the winning teams and the trophy to the winning club. Kaye shared a story of her recent visit to the USA to see her son and while there she had a medical event, which caused a hospital visit. The 8 km ambulance ride alone cost US$3000! Kaye was fully insured, so the advice is, if you are going to the USA be sure to have full medical insurance
Results were as follows.
- Winners with 27.5 MP St Heliers: Richard Kempthorne, John Ross, Graeme Bennett and Don McGowan.
- 2nd place with 25 MP St Heliers: Roger Johnston, Roger Seaton, Amy Cheung and Bruce Crosbie
- 3rd place with 22.5 MP Glendowie: Heather Carter, Margret McColl, Florence Hing and Richard A- MooreTrophy winners:
- 1st St Heliers with 87.5 Match Points.
- 2nd Kohimarama with 65 match points
- 3rd Glendowie with 57.5 match points.
A huge thank you to Rostyn Jones for organising the event and having to cope with the change of venue. Con Cambie, for being the umpire and sorting out the cards to get a result on time. and Kohimarama President Paul Elsmore for the use of the club.